Wednesday, April 24, 2019

El Alamien Table Updated!

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been out of touch lately, the post-Adepticon modeling slump added to some health issues made getting things finished a little tough. Now that's over, I thought I'd share the updated El Alamein table I've been working for my birthday! Some of you may have seen the old table at the Adepticon Bolt Action tournaments - I even played on it the first round of Doubles - and decided to change a few things.

I took some extra cobblestone roads and repainted them, adding some short dead grass tufts along the edges in an attempt to mimic the crushed gravel roads that were quickly laid down along the Africa coast as the armies vied for position. I also took out the quonset huts and the larger crate stacks in favor of some modular crates from Tabletop Scenics and some grain sack stacks to represent the supply dump around the train station itself.

In an attempt to add visual appeal to the desert half of the table, I added a crashed Italian plane and some removeable barbed wire. I had an ancient 1/48 Smer Reggaine R2000 monoplane I threw together over a couple of sittings, doing some AA damage, and adding a simple base. The barbed wire obstacles are just 24ga steel wire woven together, clipped into 6" long sections, and spray painted. Since they are moveable, they can be formed into squares to represent minefields, positioned in depth, or removed if an AFV or engineer team destroys them. In an attempt to liven up the otherwise drab appearance of the dunes and plateau, I added some more dead grass and low groundcover.

Some of you may note that this table appears slightly cluttered and you wouldn't be wrong - the mat itself is actually 7x4, so I can add another foot of length for larger games without sacrificing much cover and concealment.






No comments: