Thursday, July 19, 2018

Glow-In-The-Dark Gaslands Gates


Since April, I've been doing a lot of Gaslands gaming because it's so super cheap, easy to set up, and accessible to every member of my family. But I did realize that I needed some proper terrain for it, rather than simply borrowing stuff from my old 15mm stash. Luckily, I was able to find these Death Race gates from tabletop-terrain that are 3D printed. With the help of a friend and their 3D printer (thanks B!), I was able to get these basic gates printed up. While Gaslands is essentially "Mad Max meets The Running Man" and the gates themselves reflect a style of racing entertainment, I wanted to do mine more like a lookout for bandits in the style of the Borderlands video game, so I added some plasticard scrap, bitz, and 20mm "Urban Resistors" from Caesar Miniatures.

These are painted very quickly, mostly being primed black and then sponge painted with a variety of browns, reds, and oranges with a light drybrushing of Vallejo Oiled Steel. The letters themselves are thoroughly painted with leftover blue glow-in-the-dark spraypaint I had left over from another project. The key to getting vibrant glow-in-the-dark pieces like this is to do multiple light coats over and over again. These took about 15-20 coats but the effect is very bright in even low light areas. Finally, I added some graffiti and dry pigments for a dusty, dirty look.








No comments: