Friday, May 18, 2018

Eastern Woodland Indians


I finally finished a group of Warlord/Conquest Eastern Woodland Indians that had been sitting in my paint queue for (no exaggeration) over a year now. I bought this set after flipping through a copy of Sharpe's Practice with the intention of making a French and Indian War army. Of course, my attention span being what it is, I moved on to other things and left this group sitting in the back of the painting tray. Additionally, My apologies once again for the almost 2 month hiatus in posts here. Between post-Adepticon burnout, my birthday, and the usual work/family craziness; there hasn't been much time for hobbying or gaming. I should have some more projects coming later this month.

In any case, this was really just an exercise in doing some Native American skintones, which I've never been much good at. In my opinion, it's much more difficult to get a really eye-catching skintone in darker shades, which really speaks to the skill of those who can do so and is likely the reason many amateur figure painters shy away from the subject. With this tone I started with a Vallejo Red Leather base, highlighting that with successive mixtures of Vallejo Orange Brown and Vallejo Skin Shadow, with a GW Fleshshade wash over it. The "stubble" effect on their shaved scalps was achieved using a midtone Grey mixed with Vallejo Glaze Medium. The "warpaint" was achieved using thin diluted coats on paint in various colors, with only one or two coats for coverage.

Their clothing is a hodge-podge of various colors, with browns and reds featuring prominently. Normally, I would add some wood-grain effect to their weapons, but I really wanted a worn, darkened wood so I left out the wood-grain and stuck to highlights in dark browns and umbers, with a wash of P3 Armor Wash. As I wanted to make this group look like it was crossing a fen or grassy marsh, the bases are in browns, tans, and greens with tall grasses and low patches of flowering shrubbery.

I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to the rest of the force, but these guys were fun to paint and a nice departure from my normal projects. 







4 comments:

muggins said...

I actually purchased a set of paints from Stone Mountain Miniatures that includes native American and African skintones for my models - they work pretty well.

http://www.wargamingminiatures.com/colors-paint/

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Lovely coloring and great basing. Well done!

Ray Rousell said...

Very nice.

Pawn Cocktail said...

A great-looking group. They look like they were fun to paint with the variety of poses & garments.