Saturday, February 6, 2016

Winter Camo Tigers

The last of my repainted Tigers that sat around 90% complete, this time I did an experiment in winter whitewash camouflage using pastel chalk. The miniatures are painted as normal, sealed and decaled. Once dry, I took a piece of white pastel chalk, ground it up into a dust, and added water with a small amount of flow improver and matte medium. I then roughly painted this over the entire mini, leaving the tracks, running gear, and areas around insignia bare and allowed it to thoroughly dry. Once dry, the chalk forms a semi-translucent coating - almost similar to pigment, but not quite as strong - that can be wiped off with your finger to simulate areas of heavy wear (around hatches, near running gear, and around the exhausts). To fix the chalk, I gave the minis a light coating of flat spray sealant. I then painted and weathered any crew, stowage, cables, running gear, and exhausts and gave it a final flat seal.

I like the result and will be using this again in the future....



2 comments:

Pawn Cocktail said...

That's a really neat technique, thanks for sharing! They look brilliant.

Weekend General said...

Those look really cool! I like that they're "wintry" but still have the dunkelgelb visible.