Monday, August 12, 2013

Lynx In The Mud, Autumn 1944

This is probably my 2nd favorite WW2-era tank (behind the Tiger I) - the Panzer II Ausf. L "Luchs". It's a pity more weren't produced as, in my opinion, this is what a light tank should look like - small, highly-sprung, and lightly-armed.

The paint scheme didn't turn out and ended up with the green and brown overpowered the Dunkelgelb base color, so I added some DG dots to even it out...but the dots ended up being an incorrect shade! Thankfully, it's tough to tell that now, with the addition of oil washes, a filter coat, and heavy weathering. The heavy dirt and mud weathering is intentional. I wanted to give the impression that these tiny tanks took the terrible dirt roads and cross-country terrain that was too difficult for other reconnaissance vehicles.



The Panzerspah company command tank is distinguished by the larger Balkankreuz on the side panniers - a feature that, in retrospect, I wish I would have added to the other tanks (even though most real-world examples wouldn't have used something so large). It just looks better after all the weathering.


No comments: