Thursday, January 12, 2023

The Bad Batch

 Finished up The Bad Batch last month but haven't had the chance to post until now.


My wife bought me my first proper light box for Christmas and it makes taking pictures so much easier. The diffuse lighting on these as opposed to my shop light setup provides for a lot less saturation and more depth of color, to the point where these required only cropping, contrast masking, and a few minor adjustments to levels to look true-to-life.

These are 3d prints I bought off of Ebay several months ago, so I'm unsure of the sculptor (If you recognize them, please let me know, so I can tag then, since they're great sculpts). The worn armor effect was done by priming in Krylon white, then hairspray chipping with a base of Tamiya 50/50 Sea Blue & Light Grey and then doing their unitards in Pavement grey, after which I applied an overall wash of Secret Weapon Soft Body Black to provide shadows and tone down the blue in the Tamiya paint.

I will go on record as saying that this project made me a fan of Vallejo Red which, prior to this, I found much too dark and desaturated. However, because handpainting all the lines on their armor required multiple thinned coats, I found built up the deep red color tone. Blasters were done in Vallejo Dark Grey and Black Brown, with Vallejo Air Aluminum chipping, washed with Black acrylic ink wash.

Echo's green helmet lighting is done using glazes of Vallejo German Camo Bright Green and Park Green. Hunter's shock dagger was done using glazes of Apple Barrel Golden Sunset (proving that yes, you can use craft paint to achieve cool effects!). Crosshair's sniper barrel burns were done by (going from base towards tip) with AK Gunmetal, AK Astral Beryllium, and finally TurboDork Laserface.

Tech's white suit was mostly done with an airbrush and zenithal shading of Tamiya White & Light Blue. He was given the same unitard, red accents, and blaster colors as the rest. I opted not to OSL his wrist computer (done in Vallejo Turquoise) since he didn't need a pop of color!

The skulls are all old GW Cadian waterslide decals, which I'm unfortunately running low on. After doing all the handpainted red lines, I opted not to handpaint the Aurebesh '99' on anyone but Wrecker's helmet.

I hope you like these. They were fun to paint, look great, and will make great "Rebel special forces" on the tabletop.









No comments: