Friday, December 16, 2022

Paint Queuemas Day 4: "The Beast", Soviet Tankers

 





"On the fourth day of Paint Queuemas...."

And now for something completely different. It's been years since I've painted a unit of true 28mm miniatures, so I decided to add to my burgeoning Cold War collection with this Soviet tank crew from Eureka Miniatures that are definitely NOT based on a certain action movie from 1988 😉.

To speed up painting, these are zenithal highlight primed and then painted using glazing. For the khaki uniforms, I applied one coat of thinned Vallejo German Camo Beige, and then two diluted coats of GW Earthshade. The helmets, gloves, and boots are thinned Vallejo Leather Brown, covered with two diluted coats of Secret Weapon Soft Body Black. Because there's so much brown, I wanted something to offset that, so I chose to paint the gasmasks in Vallejo Golden Olive, which was then given one coat of Dark Green ink wash and then two coats of GW Camo shade.

The gunmetal is Dark Grey craft paint, with two coats of Soft Body Black over that and the bakelite AK parts are Vallejo Orange Brown, washed with GW Sepia. Lenses are Vallejo Light Turquoise with a Blue ink wash and buckles are AK Gunmetal.

I painted the bases uses multiple light coats of earth toned craft paint. To get the dusty boot effect, I dampened the figures boot with a clean brush and let the craft paints "bleed" unto it via capillary action. Then, when I did the final highlight, I did a light dry brush over the soles and front of each boot. A very easy and convincing effect!

Finally, I sealed them all and added some Testors Canopy Glue to the mask lenses. Cool little squad, now I just need to pick up the Rubicon Models T-55 tank for their ride!

No comments: