Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Sdkfz 222 Armoured Car

Another repaint of old AFV I've had in my collection for a few years, this time the ubiquitous Sdkfz. 222 light reconnaissance vehicle. I had initially painted this up in Panzer Grey with a whitewash, but I never really liked the oil pastel whitewash technique I did and the mid-war German force I had planned never materialized, so I decided to re-do it in Dunkelgelb.

Like the Jagdpanzer, I used hairspray chipping method that was very well demonstrated by a vlogger called Panzermeister36 on Youtube. I primed everything in Red Oxide primer, hit it with hairspray, and then airbrushed it in a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Dark Yellow and Yellow Green. I then went back and (using a toothbrush and bamboo stick) chipped, flaked, and scratched to reveal the primer underneath. I debated on whether or not to do soft-edge camouflage on this vehicle but, since the overwhelming majority of my German AFVs have it, I wanted to do something different and go with a single-color to make it stand out. Rubber wheels were done in Pavement, tools are in Vallejo Medium Brown. Any steel items are done in Vallejo German Grey highlighted with Vallejo Oily Steel. The spare wheel cover was done in Vallejo Brown Leather, highlighted with a 50/50 mix of Brown Leather and Territorial Biege. The commander is basecoated in Vallejo Dark Grey, highlighted in German Grey, with a final highlight in 50/50 German Grey and Light Grey; with waffenfaube in Vallejo Pink.



Decals are by Warlord. Weathering was done with oils (again special thanks to Panzermeister36, who pointed out that my cheap oils need to sit on cardboard for several hours before painting to eliminate all the excess linseed oil in the paint) and dry pigments.




I brought this AFV to the last Operation Sting tournament and it did really well for under 100pts, driving off more than a few air strikes with its Flak gun and harassing the flanks of my opponents. I'm glad I decided to give it a facelift and get it off the shelf where it had been collecting dust for a few years.


No comments: